Monday, March 30, 2015


Journal Entry #1

Share your initial thoughts as you are leaving the U.S. What are your expectations? Do you have any apprehensions? What do you expect to learn while in South Africa? What do you expect to see? How well prepared do you feel for this trip? 


Before departing the U.S., my initial thoughts were related to contemplation of attending the trip....should I go or not go? Upon learning that I had been accepted to attend, I shared the news with my family and they immediately became fearful for my safety. Up until days before I left, my father continuously asked me, "are you still going?" Due to their own fear, my family discouraged me on several occasions from going. Initially, these emotions interfered with my excitement about the experience and eventually fear began to consume my thoughts. But, in my heart, I knew that everything would be fine. I had faith in God and in Howard University that all would be well. Once I got past those initial thoughts and feelings, I was very calm. The Saturday seminars were highly informative and really helped to put my mind at ease. After the first seminar, my thoughts were primarily ones of excitement about the opportunity to embark upon an experience that was so different than anything else I had ever accomplished in my life. It was my first time traveling outside of the country, so this was a completely new endeavor for me. As the time drew near to depart, I began to feel a bit overwhelmed with the process of preparing to leave the country. I had so much to do and wasn’t quite sure how I would accomplish everything. Packing, school work, job duties, and everything in between. Packing was more of a task than I had anticipated, particularly toward the end of the process. But, in the end, I felt well prepared for the trip.

2015 ISLP-SA Saturday Seminar
As a result of all of the information that was provided to us beforehand, I was able to pack well and had very little anxiety about traveling. My apprehensions were not at all related to the trip itself. My feelings of apprehension were, for the most part, associated with school work and managing my dissertation once returning from the trip. I felt stressed, but also happy to be leaving my crazy life in the U.S. behind even if only for a moment in time.  In terms of expectations, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Having the opportunity to travel to South Africa was so far beyond what my mind could fathom. So, it was difficult for me to form any initial expectations. I simply allowed my mind to be open to the experience and didn't bother to engage in any preconceived thought processes. If I had any expectations at all, they were primarily related to what I would learn. Overall, I expected to learn about the history of apartheid. I also expected to be informed about the various challenges and social welfare issues that continue to persist in South Africa post-apartheid. I also anticipated that I would be exposed to information and experiences that would reveal and uncover an entirely new world that  expands far beyond the way of life that I have come to know in the United States. Finally, given my area of research, one of the things that I looked forward to learning the most in South Africa was about family life and fatherhood. For example, what are similarities and differences between the role of men in African American and South African families? Do the same issues of father absence that exist in U.S. also exist in South Africa? What has been the impact of apartheid on family life and fatherhood? I also really looked forward to learning about life and existence in South Africa, not only from the various agencies that we would visit, but from common people that may be able to offer a different perspective. Overall, leaving the U.S., I made a conscious effort to be open minded and simply allow the experience and what God intended for me to receive from it to unfold.
Departing the U.S. for Cape Town, South Africa
Tyriesa Howard and I Departing the U.S. for Cape Town, South Africa

Arrival to Cape Town, South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment