Monday, March 30, 2015


Journal Entry #6

Now that you've returned, revisit your first journal entry and reassess. Were your expectations met? How did you manage dealing with your apprehensions? What did you learn from South Africa? What would you change about the program? How has this experience enhanced your learning experience at Howard University School of Social Work? What have you gained from this experience that you can bring to the field? Would you do a program like this again?

In reflecting on my first journal assignment, I feel that my expectations were not only met, they were exceeded. A part of me is still in disbelief that I actually went and am now able to share my experience with others. It feels a bit unreal. Overall, I managed dealing with my apprehensions by simply being open minded and willing to learn about life through the lens of those that I encountered.  I learned so much from South Africa, it is difficult to put into words or express. But, in summation, I would say I learned the importance of perseverance and resilience through struggles. I also learned to appreciate diversity and difference and just how much I didn't know about life outside of the United States. One of my favorite aspects of this trip is that I got the chance to meet so many people from all walks of life--from our drivers, to taxi cab drivers, the staff at LAL, and workers at places I frequented. I truly came to understand why they call it the "rainbow nation."  During our free day, I also got the chance to attend church, which is one the aspects of the trip that I really looked forward to. I also got the opportunity to explore the beauty of South Africa, which I am still taken by.


Friend that I met at Life Church
 Friends that I met at Life Church
Friend that I met at my favorite coffee shop 

 Victoria and I with our driver that showed us around Cape Town during our free day


Pharrah and I with our drivers that took us to all of our site visits

If I could change anything about the program, I would probably want to incorporate more opportunities for service into the trip. Although I appreciated all of the presentations offered by the various organizations we visited, my heart's desire was to be hands on, actively engage in service, and actually meet and interact with people that lived the experiences that we were learning about. This experience has abundantly enhanced my learning experience at HUSSW, beyond what I ever imagined. One of the reasons I applied to attend the trip is because I felt that it would be the perfect capstone or culminating experience as I look toward graduation and it was just what I expected it would be and more. As I mentioned in previous journal entries, one of the things that I have gained from this experience that I will definitely bring to the field is an international lens for social work practice, particularly in the area of work with men and fathers. 

 At Camps Bay Beach
 At Table Mountain

This trip has, in many ways, contributed to my desire to broaden my research beyond a narrow focus on the United States. Again, the continuous emphasis placed on fathers by the various organizations we visited solidified and affirmed for me the need for research that crosses international boundaries as the issue of fatherhood is indeed one that has global implications and relevance. Without a doubt or any reservation, I would definitely do a program like this again. I have even considered participating in programs that provide longer durations of service such as the Peace Corps. This trip has certainly left an indelible mark on my life and it is something I will cherish forever.

 Auntie Vi and I at the Farewell Dinner
Helen and I at the Farewell Dinner
 Dean Crewe and I at the Farewell Dinner
 Youngkquia and I departing Cape Town, South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment